Thursday, May 16, 2013

Headed to Japan! How did I get HERE?

This morning, my husband David and I boarded this large plane alongside of about 50 people on behalf of the Kawai America Corporation. Kawai: the Future of Pianos.  All things considered, I would like to share how I got to this point so far. 
It is a moment of reflection 1) as a point of professional achievement, 2) the Exec. VP of our company was just sharing with us the providence in his own story of how he began working with Kawai, and 3) today is David's 30th birthday... Which is how old I was turning as I began this job, myself. 
Turning 30 is really just like every other age in that upon its mention you are found either looking ahead or behind to remember what your experience was. But we know it to be a bit of a benchmark in life. 
As I approached 30, Dave and I had just left behind what we considered to be a failed mission to revive a small south GA church. In short, I could recall to you that the movie Julie & Julia was therapeutic. And I should not leave out a significant set of realizations encouraging me from the story of Joseph in the Bible--he who was appointed a major role of leadership at the age of 30. 
It was October 2009--the middle of a semester. In the move, I had left behind a perfectly wonderful job as a music educator, a job to which I could not return. I thought, Lord, shall I just reinvent myself?! What do you want me to do now? But of course, I wasn't really starting from scratch. God had already helped me develop so many gifts so far in my life. He said, "Let's use what you've got and what you've done so far and the connections I have given you, and watch what I will do for you."
Having met the owner of Jim's Pianos a time or two at fundraisers for local music scholarships, I called his business to see if he had any openings. Despite downsizing to a smaller set-up in our local mall, the current manager had one spot open for a part-time salesperson. She saw I had potential. Then Jim, the owner Jim, was pleased with her hire.  He remembered me as a successful raffle ticket seller!  Then, in a turn of events (I like to call the providence of God), the manager decided to step down from her rank and Jim offered me the job.  
By the end of that month, I was writing up a great sale on a very nice grand piano, thanks to help from Jim. He became a great coach and mentor to me, the novice... the sponge... the one eager and curious as to where this road would lead.  
Five months later, I was touring the factory of Steinway & Sons. Two months after that, I owned a nice Essex upright piano.  By January of 2011, Jim was taking me to Anaheim, CA for the annual NAMM trade show. In May, I returned to California for Kawai Keyboard Academy. Continuing in great connections, we returned to the trade show this past January 2013 with the realization that I could have actually worked my way up the leader board for top salesperson in small markets of North America. 
For the 50th Anniversary of Kawai America, Kawai announced a contest measuring sales from October 2012-February 2013 offering a paid trip for two to Japan to their top dealers and top salespeople. There was only one salesperson ticket for small markets. I worked hard with my admirable team of professionals at Jim's Pianos, and then I got the call from my rep that I had won and I would be going to Japan!
So, here we are. On a plane to Japan... which carries the comforting feeling that we are not just propelled in the air by these jets, but remembering we are always carried in the hands of the God who has the whole plan in mind. He knows what's coming next in the story. 
I'll keep ya posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment